Wednesday 17 May 2006

India stands for Equality or Inequality?

From past few days I have been following the reservation discussion on internet, newspapers and television. Have been listening to the pro-reservation lobby remarks; politicans are just making mockery of whatever good exists in this country.

Sometimes I doubt my indianness. Is this the country I feel so proud of? For what? I came from Austria to India, thinking I would do some good work in India. I want to see my country being one of the best nations in the world - and will this caste politics lead us anywhere?

I am not against reservations, India needs to bring economically weaker societies back into mainstream in order to seriously progress, but the way government is implementing the reservation policy is fundamentally wrong. Hadn't supreme court put up an upper cap on reservation of 50%, the politicans could have gone to any extent. They amend the constitution to suit their own needs. Is this the same constitution - I feel proud of - which provides social justice to all indians irrespective of their caste and creed!

This is what happens to the best and meritorious students in India:




If your heart doesn't cry, whose else would?

And the biggest agony to me, not even a single mainstream politican or a personality has come to the cause and support of anti-reservation lobby. This battle is not about reserving thousands of seats here and there, fundamentally the government is dividing the country which in principle is wrong.

Is something like "Rang De Basanti" is a solution? I don't think so. But I don't know what's the solution? Any views!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment