Wednesday 18 January 2006

Link'n'Surf

Link'n'Surf - the product that we all have been building at Wirkle, is now ready for its Alpha launch. Link'n'Surf builds a social network around media such as user-generated content and makes it available 24X7 while you are on the move on to your mobile device.

And yeah, we also have a Link'n'Surf Buddy, you can check what all she writes as she pokes around every good or bad corner of Wirkle.

Looking at my resume, lot of people often ask me - why did you do a startup in mobile space? And there's just one answer - fascination and a strong belief!

I remember the days when SMS first arrived in India and people said SMS is crap - limited keys , limited text and what's the use; and something in me said - it's going to be powerful. And then the days when I bought this expensive little device so that I can be the first one amongst my colleagues to buy a colored screen mobile handset and on the way back home, while tinkering with the device I missed my bus stop by limits. It took me an hour to reach back home that cold chilly winter night. And yeah I felt a lot happier when I saw my father using SMS though my efforts of teaching him to email have already failed. I can count a lot of such short experiences and on every such occassion there was always a feeling that there is something more that we can do with mobiles.

Another important influence in my life and in lot others I guess has been the Internet. Most people think of internet as either websites, content or network. I regard internet to be synonymous with "people and information" and the way it has socially transformed all of us. This social transformation - this is what is the real power of internet and this is the power that needs to be brought on to the mobile device. Mobiles today are communication devices and they would become one day information superhighways and transform everything around us.

And this one dream one way or the other led to the start of Wirkle and Link'n'Surf.

As we move ahead in this journey, we all at Wirkle look forward to your valuable feedback, suggestions, advice and criticisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment