Monday 23 May 2005

Journey Back From Home

Last 3 days I was at home, relaxing. Days at home make you feel relaxed from all the fast life of Delhi. When I am in Delhi, it looks like hundreds of things are running here and there and your life passes just trying to be in pace with the world around you. But at home its completely opposite. There's just peace and calmness all around you. May be its because I belong to a small town and people care more, less pollution, and there's a sense of belongingness which one doesn't find in bigger cities.

Coming back from home on train, seeing the world around me, made me think again - what will be the face of India - 20 or 30 or even 50 years from now? There is huge disparity between Delhi and the smaller towns and villages. You just need to watch and see the real India from that small open window of your seat and you start realizing the reality. People still living in open, no water, no electricity, and no sanitation! Though I have seen these things much closer in my native village around 15 years back but there are lot many places where life is still the same or may be worse. You just need one train journey in a general compartment to realize where we are.

We the technologists, the software engineers, are just so much overwehlmed by IT, that we don't realize the other face of the coin. Having seen so many things in europe and in india, will we ever see a modern india (where people atleast get all the basic necessities of life) in our life span? I once asked my uncles and aunts the same question, and their answer was a strong NO. I hope this NO changes into Yes, even though I myself am a bit reluctant in making that statement. But I still hope ...

No comments:

Post a Comment